Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Biggest Loser

Last night as I watched the Biggest Loser I realized a couple of things.  Firstly, as it was makeover week, how badly I want to get to the point where I can do that.  Make myself over, new clothes, new look, all of it.  I'm really just at the start of this whole journey, and the point where I want to do the makeover seems very far away today.

There's a contestant on the show named Michael, he arrived at 557lbs and since being there has lost an incredible 183lbs.  I can't even imagine the dedication and perseverance an accomplishment like this requires, and yet during makeover week he was still forced to shop at the Big and Tall store.  I truly felt for him.  For weeks he had been focused on how well he was doing, how far he had come, and then this came up and he was forced to look at how much farther he had to go.

Now I didn't start where he did, but neither have I accomplished what he has.  Still, I can truly identify with the reality of looking past what you've done and facing how far you have left to go.  Don't get me wrong, this is a lifetime for me, I have no intention of ever becoming who I was again, but for some reason that show really made me think about how much farther I need to go.  And today I'm a little disheartened.  I'm sure this will pass, as all these dips do, but as I write this, the light at the end of the tunnel looks about the size of a laser pointer.

Part of this I'm sure is the fact that I didn't run yesterday or swim either Monday or today, so I'm feeling pretty down on myself anyway.  I know as soon as I hit the gym, ride my bike or go for a run I'll feel completely different about things, and my weigh in will hopefully help out too.  Anyway, just a part of trying to change I guess, sometimes the journey feels much longer than others.

On the plus side of my realiztions from the show I saw them doing a challenge on a Jacob's Ladder excercise machine.  I want to try this.  I mean I really want to try this!  Its not that it looks like fun, more like it is completely different from any workout machine I've ever seen, and I've gotta see if its as hard as it looks to be.

Anyway, just an update since I haven't written anything in a while, I'll definitely add something in (probably tomorrow) after I have a change to face the scales and see how things played out (or weighed out as the case may be).

No comments:

Post a Comment