Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year (decade)

Well, its a whole new year and I've decided to post those resolutions that I always make and never follow through with. Given that there's only like three people in the world who actually read this blog I know I'm not exactly putting myself out there...

Nonetheless, I think what I'm going to do is not just throw the resolutions out there, but find a way to track how well I'm sticking to them. At very least some day in the future I'll be able to look back and say "there I was, and that's what I did". Anyway, on with it.

My first and foremost resolution is regarding working out. I've promised to do a mini-triathalon and a 5Km run in June, and in case the profile photo didn't show it clearly enough, this is not doable without a great deal of hard work on my part, and some significant sacrifice. Therefore, I resolve to swim, in incrementally increasing distances, 3 times a week for the entire year. Additionally I will attend the gym 3 times a week. I figure if I stagger the days and the timing (ie swimming in the morning, gym the next evening I'll survive).

Don't get me wrong, this is probably not going to be a joyous undertaking, at least for the first while, but I really can't meet my promises without doing it, and as a friend of mine has always said, "word is bond". If you can't live up to your promises, who are you?

Well, that actually segues nicely into resolution 2...Keep my promises...
OK, I'm actually pretty good at this one for the most part, but I have a strange habit of not meeting the ones that I make to those I really should. Confusing sounding a bit, but I think its a case of taking things for granted. I know I'm going to be forgiven so I let things slide. Well no more! Its occurred to me over the last little while that the people who forgive you most easily are the ones you owe the most to, unconditional acceptance is rare and should be treasured.

So, that takes care of the serious ones and the philosophical maunderings behind them, now the fun stuff.

Learn to play bass guitar, and then play in front of someone (anyone really...)

Skydive. Yes, find it in myself to jump out of a perfectly functional aircraft for no other reason than the thrill

I think that's enough for now, the fun stuff is for much later in the year, but I'll track the exercise here and let you know how I'm doing with it, and as for the promises... I'm not promising anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment