Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Oh oh, now the rubber hits the road


Well, I just checked the site, and the registration for the Guelph Lakes triathalons have now opened...

Of course I have no intention of running a triathalon in June, not only would that be crazy, but pretty close to impossible. That being said though, there is a race called the Try-a-Tri, a much shorter version of the traditional triathalon (in this case a 375m open water swim, 10 Km bike ride and a 2.5 Km run). I have committed (sometimes feeling that I should be committed...) to do this race on June 19th and I intend to meet that commitment.

As you may have read earlier, I am working out and swimming regularly, all with an eye to doing this, but now that the registration is available it really seems more real. Surprising myself though, I'm actually more excited that scared by it. I've never really done anything of this sort before, athletic endeavors (swimming aside) always being more a source of potential humiliation than anything else.

That said, in retrospect, I was probably much more focused back then on excelling and missed the point, which is to succeed. I've come to the realization over time that being great at something is so not the point, doing something is.

And so I trot off to the gym tonight, the pool tomorrow morning, and prepare myself to not win the Try-A-Tri but to finish it (ok, a good finishing time really wouldn't hurt....).

Anyway, I keep this updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment